Below is a list of no-cost or low-cost ways you can help animals in your community!
Help Increase Adoption
- Share the DINE Rescue/Shelter/Animal Welfare List or Develop a List for Your Community: Give copies to friends, family, neighbors & co-workers. Post it in as many public locations as you can. (This list is updated every few months so please check back frequently)
- Utilize Social Media: 1) Join the D.I.N.E. Facebook page. We change our profile picture every few weeks to feature a dog in need and have a story about the dog which is pinned to the top of the page. Please share it! In January 2014, someone shared the photos/stories of "Nyah" and "Curtis" & these 2 senior dogs were adopted together. Curtis had been at the shelter for 9 years! 2) Go to rescue/shelter websites and FB pages & feature their animals on your own social media pages. 3) Go to the rescue/shelter websites and share information about when and where adoption clinics are being held.
- Attend Adoption Clinics: Get to know the animals so you can network better for them. Take flattering photos of the animals to share.
- Make Posters of Adoptable Animals: Ask veterinary offices and other businesses if you can post them on bulletin boards. Make sure you have the most updated stories and photos from the rescue or shelter where the pet is located.
- Organize An Adoption Clinic at Your Place of Business: It can be as small or large as you want... use our rescue/shelter list to find rescues to invite.
- Foster a Pet for a Rescue: If you are interested, please read our article about fostering. The rescue groups are always in need of more foster homes. The more fosters they have, the more animals they can save!
More Ways to Support Local Rescues and Shelters
- Volunteer: Walk dogs, spend time with cats, clean kennels, lend a hand at events, transport animals to appointments or adoption events, or take quality photos of the animals. (Note: there may be age and/or training requirements for certain activities).
- Birthday Parties: Have a "presents for pooches" birthday party! Ask for Kong toys, pressed rawhide chews, or donations to buy Kuranda Dog Beds. (Suggestion: Contact the organization first to ask what their needs are for the animals)
- Collections: Do a "drive" for chew toys, blankets, canned food or pennies! Organize through family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, student councils, scouting groups etc. (Suggestion: Contact the organization first to make sure you are collecting something they really need).
- Distribution: Volunteer to distribute the rescue/shelter list, newsletters, flyers and other items to pet supply centers, veterinary practices & other businesses that will accept this literature.
- Fundraising: Organize a bake sale, car wash, yard sale or other special event and donate the profits.
- Sewing: Shelters often cannot take large comforters because they are too big to fit in their washing machines. A project we have done in the past is to cut comforters in half, thirds or quarters and sew them up to make nice, cozy, usable beds for the pups!
- Purchase Products: D.I.N.E. does not currently accept direct donations but 100% of the profits from the sale of these items will go towards our efforts to help homeless animals.
If you have a special skill or another idea, please contact your local shelter or rescue – thank you!!